Tuesday 17 April 2012

I climbed a mountain!

I went on my first little exploration holiday in almost a year last week (yay!) and, apart from the momentary weirdness of staying somewhere else other than home after a long period, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought it good to challenge myself so decided to go climb Mount Snowdon in Wales on the first day. I am aware that as far as mountains go in the world this is a relatively small one...but it is a mountain nonetheless! The great thing about Snowdon is that it can be done in a matter of hours so is ideal for novices, like myself. Regardless of my few tumbles along the way and the crazy harsh winds at the summit, I would strongly recommend climbing Mount Snowdon to anyone! I found the most difficult bits to be the occasional snow and slippery rocks (which stylishly got me on my knees and butt on numerous occasions, regardless of my trekking shoes...) so if you're not a fan of slippery slopes then maybe go to Snowdon during the drier summer months. That aside, the feeling of achievement when reaching the summit is simply amazing. It really did make me feel alive. Especially as I had only finished my chemotherapy a few months before. I feel that challenging myself like this helps keep my mind and body active; and the more I move, the more energy I have. I did go up and down myself, but there is a train running the distance as well for those who want the stunning views without the aching muscles the next day. In case this text has not persuaded you to go climb up Mount Snowdon yourself, hopefully my photos below will do the job! Though I might need to do this again during a clear and sunny summer's day to give true justice to the stunning views up at the summit..


...the cloud that was in store up at the summit...  

...and a glimpse of some sun! 

...walking up to the clouds...

...another glimpse of sun! I had such difficulty timing my photos without the fast-paced clouds...

...and into the cloud and snow we go...
...in the cloud and snow...

 ...almost at the summit!

...the summit! Didn't dare to take this photo again with the wind almost blowing me over...

...views from the summit....the speedy clouds got the best of the photos and what were stunningly clear views...

...views from the summit...

...during the descent...





No comments:

Post a Comment